Did you know that this cheese is natural and highly digestible? It does not contain any preservatives. In fact, it only contains three ingredients: milk from the Parma region, renett and salt. Click here for some recipes featuring Parmigiano Reggiano.
We gathered in the kitchen for our class lead by Biltmore Executive Chef David Hackett. We were then divided into groups of four. Each group had one recipe to master. Ours was Parmigiano Reggiano Baked Sea Scallops served with Cumin Corn Salsa (the entire recipe is at the bottom of this post). In total, we cooked 8 dishes that we all shared and ate at the end of the class. This event was a collaborative effort on behalf of the South Florida chapter of The Blogger Union.
High res images by Ray Santana Photography
|Prepping the scallops on the left, finished product on the right.|
|Baked at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes.|
|Our group, with Exec Chef Hackett|
|Parmigiano wheel: This cheese is best eaten by wedging and breaking pieces off, rather than cutting it.|
|Our finished sea scallops|
|Gnocchi - before and after.|
Parmigiano Reggiano Baked Sea Scallops served with Cumin Corn Salsa:
- 1lb Jumbo Sea Scallops (6-8)
- 1/4 cup of Mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup of grated Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese
- 1/8 tsp. of ground Cayenne Pepper
- The juice of one lemon
- 1/2 cup of whole wheat crackers, crushed.
- Heat oven to 400F
- Mix the mayo, parmesan cheese, lemon juice, and cayenne pepper together until well blended.
- Place the scallops on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper - spray tray with non-stick cooking spray, or grease with butter.
- Coat the top of each scallop with the mixture.
- Once each scallop is coated, sprinkle the crushed crackers on top of the scallops.
- Bake in the oven for about 10-12 minutes, or until slightly firm.
- Top with salsa!
Cumin Corn Salsa
- Remove kernels from 2 stalks of corn
- 1/2 cup of Poblano Peppers, chopped
- 1/2 cup of Red Bell Peppers, chopped
- 1/2 cup of chopped Red Onion
- 2 Medium Red Tomatos, seeded
- 1/4 cup of Green Olives, chopped
- 1/4 cup of jalapenos with some juice
- 1/4 cup of finley chopped Cilantro
- 2 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp of Garlic Powder
- 2 tablespoons of Cumin
- Chop all ingredients - uniform in size - place into large ziplock bag, seal and toss until all ingredients are mixed.
- Place in fridge and allow to chill until served.
The Biltmore Culinary Academy is located inside the historic Biltmore Hotel, at 1200 Anastasia Avenue in Coral Gables, Florida For details on booking your own culinary experience at the Biltmore Culinary Academy click here for e-mail info or call 305.913.3189. They offer private classes, classes for children and regular sessions for adults, which are about $114 per person for three hours (plus a glass of wine).